Studying marine engineering in Germany opens doors to a world of opportunities across shipbuilding, ocean engineering, naval architecture, and much more. Courses in Germany are usually graduate programs and cover aspects like marine engineering and ship engineering, among others. Aspirants interested in designing marine vessels, environmental planning, and naval architecture should pursue this course. There are several leading institutions available for the course in the country. However, you should carefully check the marine engineering in Germany admission criteria across institutions.
Table of Contents
Top Reasons to Pursue the Course in Germany
- German universities are known for their prowess in engineering, equipping students with the knowledge and skill sets to design, maintain, and run marine structures and vessels. They also emphasize learning, fusing concepts from various engineering branches and computer science to teach them more about piping, propulsion systems, oceanographic technologies, and a lot more.
- The maritime industry continues to grow in Germany, comprising approximately 90% of global trade. The country is positioned at the heart of engineering growth, innovations, and maritime trade. This ensures great future prospects for candidates.
- German public universities do not have tuition fees for international or domestic students. Tuition-free educational institutions offer opportunities to 2.4 million+ students throughout the country.
- Germany offers globally recognized degrees since all universities now function as per the Bologna reforms. This means that a uniform degree system is in place across major universities.
- Students will find several programs which are taught in English at German universities while gaining exposure to the global market and several attractive job opportunities in a fast-growing economy.
Levels of Study
You can find both undergraduate and postgraduate course options in the field.
Top Universities for Marine Engineering in Germany
Before applying, you should check the marine engineering in Germany requirements and the marine engineering in Germany fees. Here are some of the leading options for students.
|Name of the University
|QS World University Ranking- 2023
|RWTH Aachen University
|Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management- Bachelors and Masters Program
|No tuition fees and only a social contribution and a student body fee
|Technical University of Berlin
|M.Sc- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
|€11,000 as course fees and other charges
|Hamburg University of Technology
|Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering- Master of Science
|No tuition fees. Only semester contribution required
|Bremen University of Applied Sciences
|B. Eng and M.Eng- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
|No tuition fees. Only semester fees are payable.
These are some of the top-ranked marine engineering in Germany universities.
Some of the usual marine engineering in Germany eligibility requirements include the following:
- First professionally qualifying academic degree in any relevant course.
- The program should have components covering technical physics, mathematics, computer science, mechanics, CAD, hydrodynamics, and design, among other aspects, as required by the institution.
- Proof of English and German language skills as per prevailing guidelines.
How to Apply?
You can directly submit your applications online at the websites of universities. Fill up the forms with all your details and upload the required documents.
Some of the marine engineering in Germany subjects include the following:
- Hydraulic engineering
- Urban water management
- Water management
- Waterway engineering
- Coastal engineering
- Sediment or groundwater transport
Job Prospects and Expected Remuneration
According to Payscale, the average salary of a marine engineer in Germany is 50,000 Euros per year. According to Glassdoor, 59,983 Euros per year is the average salary of a marine engineer in Germany. The salary range, according to Glassdoor, is between 48,000 and 75,000 Euros approximately.
Which country is the best for marine engineering?
Some of the top countries for studying marine engineering include the USA, Germany, and many other countries.
What are the main responsibilities of a marine engineer?
While the job is dynamic by nature, some of the usual responsibilities include the supervision and training of engineering divisions, which include construction personnel, designers, and mechanics. Another duty is the maintenance of marine vehicles and other equipment. Marine engineers also have to identify and diagnose issues while carrying out repairs accordingly.