The Duolingo English Test, or DET, has become one of the popular tests. Over 3500 universities worldwide have certified it as a global certification. Applicants can take the Duolingo English Test from any country at any time or location. The exam duration is one hour, and the registration cost is $49. There is a two-day turnaround time for Duolingo test results. To apply to one or more universities, candidates can submit their Duolingo test scores as many times as they like. This article covers more information on the test’s eligibility, pattern, and other aspects.
Duolingo English Test Preparation - Exam Pattern and Eligibility
Before getting into the Duolingo online test preparation, it is important to understand the exam pattern and the eligibility criteria.
No specific requirements have to be met for the Duolingo English test. Test takers can visit the Duolingo English Test site anytime and take the test at their convenience. However, candidates must check with the college or university they are considering if the Duolingo test score is accepted there.
Age is not a prohibiting factor when taking the Duolingo test, as there is no such restriction. Although, it is essential to note that candidates who are 13 or younger must obtain parental consent to take the Duolingo exam.
Similar to other popular English proficiency tests such as the IELTS and TOEFL, the Duolingo English test follows a likewise pattern. When the candidates have logged into their account on the Duolingo English Test site, they can select the 'Start Test' option. It takes less than an hour to complete the Duolingo English exam, which is a very short time compared to the two hours it takes for a TOEFL or IELTS test. There are two parts to the Duolingo exam pattern, which can be categorized as follows:
Graded Part - Adaptive Test: There are exercises in this section that focus on speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills.
Ungraded Part - Video Interview: An interview video and writing samples are included in this section.
Duolingo Test Preparation Materials - Books for Preparation
A candidate needs to go through some of the Duolingo test preparation materials. The Duolingo English Test does not directly ask grammatical questions, but they are easily identifiable in nearly all questions, specifically those that ask one to complete sentences. Practising Duolingo preparation test papers is beneficial. Candidates can also prepare with the following books:
- Oxford English Grammar: This book was written by British Linguist Sidney Greenbaum in 1996. It has gained recognition and a good reputation in the academic world. There are detailed grammar lessons and many exercises to help one practice. This is considered one of the best books for the Duolingo online test preparation.
- Practical English Usage: Michael Swan authored the book in 1860, and it is currently in the fourth edition. Oxford University Press has published the book, and it is well known to be a fascinating practice book for common English usage that offers a wealth of helpful knowledge.
- Gain Control Over English Writing: Gain Control Over English Writing, which Prof. Shrikant Prasoon wrote, is a workbook containing many exercises that can be used to practice your English grammar skills. Regardless of the purpose, the book can be used as a stand-alone resource or as collateral for a lesson book.
- Cobuild English Grammar: Throughout this book, Collin Corpus presents modern English grammar in a simplified way to make it easier to understand. There are many examples of American and English grammar differences in this book. These examples are presented in a reader-friendly manner and capture the essential differences between them. One can improve their writing and speaking skills by participating in this course.
Tips for Preparation
Here are some of the essential Duolingo preparation tips:
Duolingo English tests must be taken in a well-prepared space. The following are some tips for preparing for the Duolingo English test:
- Quietness and comfort are essential in the place. The lighting should be adequate, the seating comfortable, and with utmost privacy.
- An internet-connected computer and the candidate's passport should always be kept handy.
- To be able to easily navigate the Duolingo English test, it is recommended that one does it on a computer.
- Duolingo English tests can be taken at any time, but candidates should choose a time when they can focus entirely without interruptions. Early morning or late night can be a perfect time.
- Candidate must revise their topics before the test day.
Test day tips:
Candidates must be well-prepared for the Duolingo test day. When taking their test, candidates should follow the tips below:
- One hour should be set aside by test-takers. When the test is in progress, everyone around should be advised not to enter the area.
- The Duolingo English test does not allow headphones. If candidates wear headphones, their tests may not be certified. A clear view of the candidate's face and ears should be maintained.
- To maintain security and validity during the test, candidates should review all Duolingo English test rules.
- Prior to taking the Duolingo English Test, it is recommended that test-takers get their hands on the preparation books to help them get into the right mindset. Additionally, they should speak with native English speakers, watch English shows, and listen to English podcasts.
- Watch the time limit of the test. Candidates must use the time allotted as effectively as possible when writing or speaking.
Interested candidates should now better understand the Duolingo English test preparation tips and the exam pattern/eligibility criteria. If one is interested in Duolingo preparation, it is recommended that one pursue exam preparation books.
Duolingo English Test Preparation- FAQ
Can I take the Duolingo test multiple times?
The Duolingo test can be taken unlimited times. There is a limit of two attempts within 30 days, however
Can I contest my certified results?
Certified test results cannot be appealed, reexamined, or rescored.
What is the scoring process?
With the Duolingo English Test, you can earn between 10 and 160 points based on your performance.
If I fail the Duolingo test, what happens?
Within 30 days of taking the test, you can retake it. The test can be taken as many times as you like.
What is the validity of Duolingo scores?
The Duolingo test scores are valid for 2 years.