The foremost question when planning to take the GRE could be how many hours long the GRE exam is. Since the GRE General is the most common exam aspirants take, let us see the details of it more comprehensively. The duration of the GRE General exam used to be 3 hours and 45 minutes; after September 22, 2023, the total exam duration is nearly 1 hour and 58 minutes. There are a total of five sections now as compared to the six sections previously.
Table of Contents
Section-Wise Time Requirements in GRE Examination
Here is a table to help you get a clear picture for the computer-based GRE General examination. Please remember, this is the new exam pattern started after September 22, 2023.
|Number of Questions
|Analytical Writing (One section)
|One 'Analyze an Issue' task
|Verbal Reasoning (Two sections)
|Section 1: 12 questions
Section 2: 15 questions
|Section 1: 18 minutes
Section 2: 23 minutes
|Quantitative Reasoning (Two sections)
|Section 1: 12 questions
Section 2: 15 questions
|Section 1: 21 minutes
Section 2: 26 minutes
Source: ETS official website
The new GRE General exam pattern has no scheduled break or the unscored/research section. Also, remember the Analytical Writing section will always be the first. The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections may appear in any order after the Analytical Writing section.
Recommended Read: How to Prepare for Verbal in GRE
Details of Paper-Based GRE Test
Since there are no scheduled breaks and unscored sections now, the pattern for the GRE paper-based exam is similar to the computer-based GRE exam pattern. The total time in this version is also 1 hour and 58 minutes. The choice of test depends on the individual's comfort and preference for using computers.
Recommended Read: How to Score 170 in GRE Quant
Download these useful guides to ace your GRE preparation
Tips on Effectively Using Time While Writing Your GRE
- You should have taken a full-length GRE practice examination beforehand to get familiar with the format and time-based limitations.
- Remember, the new GRE pattern does not have any scheduled breaks. Hence, you must practice accordingly.
- Slow down and make sure that you get more points. Do not keep pushing for quicker results since it will only lead to poorer scores and silly mistakes.
- Answer those questions you are sure of.
- If you cannot find the answer to something instantly, keep moving on to next questions. If you want to come back to something, press mark and move on.
- Whenever you get stuck on any mathematics question in GRE, do not stay in limbo. Do some other questions and then come back to the same.
Follow these tips for managing time smartly throughout the GRE examination. Once you have acquired knowledge of the GRE exam duration, the next step is understanding the GRE syllabus and getting your hands on relevant GRE study materials. So, wait no more and embark on your journey toward graduate education. Here's wishing you the best for your future!
Study Abroad Preparation Course
What does the Course include:
- 12 Weeks of Dedicated Coaching to Build a robust profile for Top 1% Universities
- SOP & Personal Statements For Academic Writing
- 25 hours of live online classes with mock tests for IELTS
- Visa, University Application & Submission
- Country-specific Support with Education loan Guidance
- International Faculty Masterclass
Popular Study Abroad Destinations
Important ExamsIELTS ExamTOEFL ExamPTE ExamGMAT ExamSAT ExamACT ExamDuolingo English TestUSMLE ExamOET Exam
Important Resources for GREGre Exam Eligibility CriteriaGRE Exam Dates GRE Test CentersGRE Exam FeeHow to Register for GREGRE Study MaterialsHow to Send GRE Scores to Universities Tips to Score 170 in GRE QuantHow to Prepare for GRE Verbal MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA Without GREMS in Business Analytics in USA Without GREMS in Data Science in USA Without GREGRE SectionsIs GRE Required for Masters in CanadaUniversities in USA without GREGRE Sample Issue EssayGRE AWAGRE Cut Off For US UniversitiesGRE Score For HarvardGRE Score For StanfordGRE Waived For Fall 2023GRE at HomeGRE Verbal ReasoningQuantitative Reasoning GREGRE to GMAT Score ConversionTop universities in USA for MS in Computer Science with GRE scoreGRE VocabularyGRE PreparationGRE Verbal Reasoning
Get free Consultation for GRE
University Acceptance Rate
- PTE Test Center
- TOEFL Syllabus
- TOEFL Exam Fees
- MBA in Canada Without GMAT
- TOEFL Tips & Tricks
- SAT Exam Pattern
- TOEFL Registration
- GMAT Exam Pattern
- GMAT Results
- SAT Eligibility
- TOEFL Exam Dates
- TOEFL Eligibility
- TOEFL Required Documents
- Send GRE Score to University
- GRE Study Material
- ACT Exam Pattern
- GRE Exam Registration
- PTE Score & Results
- GMAT Exam Dates
- PTE Eligibility
- GMAT Prepration
- PTe Syllabus
- GMAT Validity
- Things to Carry for GMAT Exam
- Score 170 in GRE Quant