The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most popular and crucial test for evaluating English language proficiency throughout the world. It is vital for non-native English speakers who want to work, study or migrate to an English-speaking country to take it.
The test content is created by a global expert team and is based on extensive research while being completely unbiased and fair for every single candidate. Before you learn how to register for the IELTS exam, you should know about the two formats in which you can take the English language proficiency test.
Table of Contents
- Types of IELTS Exam
- IELTS Eligibility and Registration
- IELTS Registration Process: Things to Keep in Mind
- How to Register for IELTS Exam?
- Download E-Books for IELTS Preparation
- When to register?
- Study Booster Program with upGrad Abroad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Download IELTS Sample Papers
- Popular Study Abroad Destinations
Types of IELTS Exam
There are two kinds of IELTS examinations, namely IELTS Academic and General Training. The former is taken by those willing to enroll in postgraduate or undergraduate courses at colleges and universities in English-speaking nations. The latter is taken by those applying for secondary education or professionals looking for work experience and those looking to migrate to countries like the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
IELTS Eligibility and Registration
There are no specific eligibility criteria to take the IELTS exam. However, the test is recommended for candidates who are aged 16 or above. The IELTS test is available on 48 pre-decided days per year, depending upon the demand. The aspirants are free to take the test on any day at their convenience. They can also re-attempt the test as many times as they want to achieve their desired score. You can register for IELTS by IDP, being the organizing body of the exam. Let us explore how:
IELTS Registration Process: Things to Keep in Mind
There are certain points to consider before registering for the IELTS exam. Some of these important points include-
- The version of the IELTS that will be suitable for you (IELTS Academic or General).
- The format of the exam you would prefer to take ( Pen-Paper test or computer-delivered).
- Choosing the nearest test center.
Registration for IELTS Indicator
The IELTS Indicator allows the students to take the exam from the comfort of their homes to help the students continue their study abroad journey during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The exam follows the same format with four sections: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. It uses live test questions and is marked by IELTS examiners. The test is marked in a way that you will get an indicative score for each section and an overall indicative score. These scores help you analyze your performance and know the points you need to improve.
You will receive the test results within seven days of your Listening, Reading, and Writing test date. Remember that the IELTS Indicator is not a replacement for in-person IELTS tests. The test takers may still need to take an in-person IELTS test at a test center once the offline testing resumes.
Also, the registration process for IELTS Indicator is the same as that of in-person IELTS. To register for the exam, you need to pay $149. As every university does not accept IELTS indicator tests, it is advisable to confirm with your target university about the same before you register for the exam.
Download IELTS Preparation Guide For Free
Get to know about the latest updates on the IELTS Exam, Eligibility, Preparation Tips, Test procedure, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Registration Process, Important Exam Dates, and much more!! This guide is a one-stop solution for every IELTS Aspirant who aims to crack the exam with an impressive band score.
How to Register for IELTS Exam?
Wondering how to register for the IELTS exam with IDP? There are both online and offline options available for the same.
Option 1- Online
Register for the IELTS exam online, and you can pay the test charge via credit card. All you need is a valid credit card for booking the exam online.
- Visit IDP Website
- Choose Register for IELTS
- Choose your desired test day and location (you will be able to view seats available
- Fill out the application form online
- Make the payment via credit card (Visa/Master)
- You’ll get seat booking instantly along with the acknowledgment
You should remember to courier some important papers to the IDP Head Office, i.e. IDP Education India Pvt. Ltd. The address is Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor, Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road, Gurugram-122002, Haryana, India. You will have to courier the following for your IELTS exams-:
- Photocopies of the first and last pages of the passport and any other observation pages. Candidates should carry the original copy on the day of the test.
- You will view the confirmation on your computer screen once you register for the IELTS exam. You should print and bring this on your examination date. A confirmation copy should also be sent via email, or a hard copy should be sent upon finishing the application form.
Option 2- Offline registration at IDP Branch or through Input Node
Process- Go to IDP head office/branch or even your nearest input node and use any of these ways to register:
- Register online from the office and make payment via credit card. Get instant confirmation of the seat.
- Give the passport photocopy and observation pages along with the signed terms and conditions
- Take the acknowledgement letter which confirms your seat.
- Take your application form and complete
- Sign the terms and conditions page.
- Attach your passport photocopy.
- Pay your test fee either via debit/credit card or demand draft in favor of IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable in New Delhi. You can also pay via cash deposited in any ICICI Bank branch through the customized deposit slip which may be taken from the IDP branch office or input node. You can even download this from the IDP website. You have to give the original customer a copy of this slip to the branch office/input node.
- You can request the input node/branch staff to enter the application form into the online registration framework immediately and provide the instant booking acknowledgment and tentative reservation of the seat. Your confirmation will only be subject to realizing the demand draft
You can register through courier and pay your fees via ICICI/Allahabad deposit slips or demand draft.
- Download the application form at www.ieltsidpindia.com or get the same from your nearest input node/branch office.
- Complete this form and sign the sheet for terms and conditions.
- Attach your passport photocopy.
- Attach the test fee demand draft in favor of IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable in New Delhi. You may attach the original ICICI deposit slip copy obtained through cash deposit in the nearest ICICI Bank branch.
- Courier the application form with all documents and the test charge to IDP Education Pvt. Ltd, Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor, Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road, Gurugram-122002, Haryana, India. The application will be reviewed upon receiving the courier and the seat will be allotted on the basis of availability.
- The test charges are about Rs. 14,700 (including all taxes).
Download E-Books for IELTS Preparation
When to register?
If you were wondering how many days before I have to register for the IELTS exam, then you should know that the earlier the better! Applications are processed and seats are confirmed on a first come first serve basis or availability. You can also apply in person at the British Council office.
You should however know that IDP has purchased the English testing system of the British Council in India. Hence, all further testing will be processed and organized by IDP only.
Payment modes acceptable for IELTS test fees:
There are numerous modes of payment for the IELTS exam. These include the following:
- Demand draft- It should be in favor of “IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi” and should only be made from a list of banks that are approved.
- Debit/Credit Cards (Master/Visa) and Net Banking facilities.
- Bank deposits may be done in ICICI or Allahabad Bank branches via customized deposit slips available at IDP branch offices or referral partners or even downloaded from the official IDP India website. It is compulsory to attach the original customer copy of the payment deposit slip in addition to the application form to register for the IELTS examination.
Study Booster Program with upGrad Abroad
In order to prepare the aspirants for their study abroad journey, upGrad Abroad has launched a 12-week long booster program that assists students in IELTS preparation, Academic Writing, Profile Building, University Application, Education Loan, and Visa process. The program also features an International Faculty Masterclass where the leading subject matter experts and corporate leaders share their experiences with the students.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the IELTS registration number?
IELTS registration number is an alpha-numeric number that you find written on small paper glued to the desk in your test center.
How to cancel IELTS exam registration?
To cancel your IELTS exam, you will need to contact the respective test center. If you cancel your registration more than five weeks before the test date, you will get a refund from which administration charges will be deducted. However, if you cancel within five days from the test date, you must pay the entire fee unless you state a severe medical condition as the reason for cancellation.
What documents are required for IELTS registration?
The only document you need to register for IELTS is your passport number and some of its details to fill in the form.
Is there a way to re-register for IELTS?
Yes, you can re-register for IELTS exams as many times until you get your desired band score.
What is the registration fee for IELTS?
The registration fees for the IELTS exam vary as per the exam type. To know the exact amount, refer to the table given below:
|Computer-delivered IELTS for UKVI
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)
|IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration
|Pen and paper-based IELTS
How to fill the online IELTS registration form?
You can fill out the IELTS registration in any mode preferable, whether offline or online. To fill out the form offline, download the IELTS registration form from the official website of IDP, select your preferred test date and time, and manually fill out the registration form. At last, you can pay the registration fee either by a demand draft in favor of IDP or pay via cash to the nearest ICICI bank branch.
To register online, follow these steps: Visit the official website of IDP, select ‘To register for IELTS, select your desired test day and location, fill out the online application form and make the payment via credit/ debit card.
How many days before the test date can you register for IELTS?
If you wish to register early, then you can book your slot three months or five weeks before the IELTS test date. One should apply as early as possible so that you obtain the IELTS TRF in due time and when needed.
What is the ID number in IELTS registration?
The ID number is mentioned just below the passport document in the IELTS registration form. Therefore, in the place of the ID number, you are supposed to enter your passport number.