The PLAB exam fees have been updated from 1 April 2023 and now stand a 3% increase compared to the previous years for both PLAB 1 and PLAB 2. If you plan to work in the UK as a medical professional and are looking forward to taking the PLAB route, this article is for you. Read on to get an overview of the exam, syllabus, and, most importantly, the PLAB exam fees.
Table of Contents
What is PLAB Exam
PLAB exam (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) is a two-part assessment designed to evaluate the knowledge and skills of international medical graduates who wish to practice medicine in the UK. The PLAB exam is overseen by the General Medical Council (GMC) and is a mandatory requirement for all overseas doctors who wish to work in the UK National Health Service (NHS).
The exam is conducted in English and consists of multiple-choice questions that cover a wide range of topics related to medicine, including basic medical sciences, clinical knowledge, and communication skills. Completing the PLAB exam is a key step towards obtaining registration with the GMC and pursuing a career as a doctor in the UK.
PLAB Exam Fees 2023
PLAB exam fees for 2023 are £255 for PLAB 1 and £934 for PLAB 2. PLAB exam fees in India are around INR 26,000 for PLAB 1 and INR 95,268 for PLAB 2.
If a PLAB exam applicant cancels their booking within 42 days of the scheduled exam date, they will not receive a fee refund. If the same is done before the 42 days, the fee will be refunded after a deduction of 10 % of the total registration fees.
Registration Process and Eligibility for 2023
The registration process for the PLAB exam is conducted through GMC online portal. The applicant has to:
1. Set up, Log in, and Update the account.
2. Manage the registration.
3. Update the details.
4. Upload the certificates.
5. Pay the fees.
For PLAB exam eligibility, an applicant must fulfill the following conditions:
1. Before applying for the PLAB exam, it is important to check if your primary medical qualification (PMQ) is recognized in the UK. The institution that granted your PMQ must be listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
2. To be eligible for the PLAB exam, you must have taken an English language test and achieved the required scores. For IELTS, you must have obtained an overall score of at least 7.5, with a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four language skills. For OET, at least Grade B is required in each testing area.
3. You must have completed at least one year of postgraduate clinical experience or an equivalent in your home country or the country where you obtained your medical degree.
PLAB Exam Syllabus
The PLAB Part 1 exam tests skills and content through questions that begin with a title specifying the skill and content being tested. The exam assesses four skills groups: diagnosis, investigations, management, and clinical practice context. Candidates must select the most likely diagnosis, interpret diagnostic tests, and choose the most suitable course of treatment. Part 2 deals with practical scenarios that UK-trained doctors may witness daily. One must be well acquainted with the PLAB exam syllabus for both parts to ace the test.
PLAB Exam Dates 2023
Below are some important dates & deadlines for PLAB 2023:
Overseas Closing Date
25 May 2023
13 April 2023
10 August 2023
29 June 2023
2 November 2023
21 September 2023
15 February 2024
4 January 2024
23 May 2024
11 April 2024
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the PLAB exam difficult?
The exam assesses the skills and knowledge required for a doctor to practice medicine safely in the UK. Therefore, it is considered a challenging exam that requires thorough preparation and a solid understanding of medical concepts. However, with proper preparation and practice, many candidates have successfully passed the exam and gone on to work as doctors in the UK.
Can I book PLAB 1 without IELTS?
No, you cannot book the PLAB 1 exam without IELTS. The GMC, which administers the PLAB exam, requires all candidates to provide evidence of their English language proficiency before booking the exam. This ensures doctors have the necessary language skills to communicate effectively with patients and colleagues in the UK healthcare system.
Who is eligible for PLAB?
If you have a primary medical qualification, English proficiency skills & 12 months of clinical experience, then you’re eligible for PLAB.
How many attempts are there for PLAB 1?
Candidates are allowed to attempt the PLAB 1 exam a maximum of four times. After four failed attempts, candidates may apply for one final attempt by demonstrating evidence of additional learning over 12 months and making a special application to the General Medical Council.
IELTS Sample Essay
IELTS Cue Card
IELTS Reading Answer
- Best Education System
- Agree or Disagree Essay
- Art is Considered an Important Part of a Society
- Essay on Space Exploration
- Causes And Effects Of Obesity
- Tourism Essay
- Individual Greed and Selfishness
- Essay On Historical Places
- Problem Solution Essays
- Art and Culture
- Double Question
- Capital Punishment
- IELTS Opinion Essay
- Prevention is Better than Cure
- Modern Technology
- Environmental Problems And Solution
- Essay Writing Samples
- Map Essay
- Should Smoking Be Banned In Public Places
- When a Country Develops its Technology
- Government and Society
- Types of Essays
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tourism
- Global Warming Essay
- Easiest Way Of Communication
- Nowadays the Way Many People Interact
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fast Food
- Business and Money