Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) assesses the English language skills of candidates with a native language other than English. Applicants wishing to study or work abroad need to furnish their TOEFL scores. It measures a candidate's abilities in listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills.
To ace the TOEFL test, test takers must be well versed with good vocabulary. There are many TOEFL vocabulary exercises that you can check out to practice before the examination. At the same time, here is a handy TOEFL vocabulary list for your perusal. This will stand you in good stead for the TOEFL vocabulary test.
Table of Contents
TOEFL vocabulary list with meaning
If you are practicing your vocabulary and grammar for the TOEFL test, here are some category-wise options for your perusal.
Business & Enterprise
- To launch any product/service- It means the beginning of commercial marketing/selling any product/service, and also the start of promotions for the same amongst the targeted audiences.
- Lay-off/Laying-off- This means termination of the employment contract for employees by any company.
- Lifestyle business- This is a business that has been established with the aim of generating adequate income as its primary goal.
- Making a profit- Earning sufficient revenues exceeding business costs.
- Niche Entity/Business- This means any business/company in a small, specific, and particular segment/market/category.
- Raising company profiles- This equates to spreading awareness about a business amongst prospective consumers and the general audience.
- Sales figures- These indicate the amounts generated by any company through selling its products/services. This can also be equated to the revenues of an organization.
- Stiff competition- This means strong competitors in the market for any business in the same segment/business category.
- Taking on/take on employees- This means hiring/recruiting/employing more personnel/staff members/employees.
Shopping & Retail
- Tight budget (on a tight budget) - Having a restricted/limited sum of money to spend on anything.
- Being on commission- Paying a specific sum of money (often a percentage) to someone for selling anything. This is related to the amount sold by the individual or entity.
- Paying in cash- This means paying for something with physical cash or currency/money.
- Bargain- Anything that is a great deal or affordable/cheaper than its regular price in the market.
- Full price- The total amount payable for anything.
- Running up credit card bills- Owing money as debt on credit card purchases, which are also subject to interest.
- Shopping around- Trying out various stores and retailers in order to get the best possible deals/offers.
- Shop assistants- They are the ones who guide customers and serve them at physical stores.
- Shop until you drop- Shopping for things until one is absolutely exhausted! It signifies a massive volume of shopping that is done!
Books and Movies
- Catching a movie- Going to watch a movie or watching a movie.
- Blockbuster- Any movie that has succeeded in commercially earning stellar revenues.
- Classic- Something of the best possible quality, something iconic, and something that is a benchmark in the industry.
- Central character- The main individual or person in any movie or book, around whom the story revolves.
- Highly recommended- Endorsed, supported, and backed by anyone/anything.
- Unputdownable- Anything that is hard to set aside, be it a movie or a book. It is so gripping that one has to watch it fully.
- E-books- Digitally-published books.
- E-readers- Digital reading devices such as Kindle.
- General release- Any release for the general audience or mass/public.
- Flicking through- Swiftly browsing through/reading through/looking through something.
- Hardback- Books with hard and rigid covers.
- Paperback- Books with softer covers.
Study Abroad Preparation Course
What does the Course include:
- 12 Weeks of Dedicated Coaching to Build a robust profile for Top 1% Universities
- SOP & Personal Statements For Academic Writing
- 25 hours of live online classes with mock tests for IELTS
- Visa, University Application & Submission
- Country-specific Support with Education loan Guidance
- International Faculty Masterclass
Other important words
There are many other important words and phrases that will help you improve your TOEFL listening vocabulary or your TOEFL speaking vocabulary. These include the following:
Something present in sufficient or ample quantities
To collect or build up something steadily/gradually
Something that is error-free and correct
Get possession of or purchase something
To support/back something publicly
Putting something aside for any purpose, or giving specific things to specific parties, i.e. allocating duties to people
Anything that is a deviation or grossly different from convention
Something that takes place yearly
Any decision of a random and sudden nature, often based on a whimsical thought process
To augment something means making it bigger, or increasing it
Possessing knowledge of something or being aware of anything
Fusion, unity, joining together
The act of agreeing with something/someone
Sufficient or abundant, usually used to denote quantities
This means reducing or considerably lowering something
It means anything delivered anywhere or to anyone. Alternatively, it may also mean a sum of money that is kept with the bank or any other financial institution
Any value or figure that is an approximation or assumed
Anything restricted to specific groups/categories/people/other conditions, while not admitting the majority
To grow or enhance in size
|Increasing the tenure of something or making it longer, i.e., an extension of his contract as Chairman
Something with a limit or end
Any structure, mechanism, or system for something
Anything that is the basic, primary, or core concept, idea, or aspect
A theory/idea which attempts at proving something, although it has not been proven yet
Anything which induces someone to do something, an attraction, or bonus, as it were
To scale up in terms of size or increase, i.e., He realized that he was paying an inflated value in rentals
To stay behind or fall behind
To increase or enhance something
The dimensions, size, and intricacies of something
The lowest/smallest measure of something
Changing anything or revamping anything or even tweaking anything
The source of something or its starting point or even roots
The best and highest point of something.
Change or measure that brings about positive improvements
Examine or analyze something with great care and attention
To reduce in size or become smaller
To form an opinion, conclusion, judgment, idea, or theory, without any evidence
A blueprint or guideline for arriving at an objective
Evolution or change across positions/conditions/ideas/philosophies/actions
Any decision, judgment or conclusion given by an authority
These are some technical and financial terms, while there are some other words. They will help you prepare better for the examination. There are many other types of words that you can look up. These are only a few examples.
TOEFL Vocabulary Exercise
Select the right word for the definitions given below-
To approve of, overlook, accept, or excuse any behavior which is otherwise taken as wrongful or unacceptable.
- To forgive
- To be generous
- To be merciful
- To be kind
- To condone
Trying very hard to accomplish anything.
- Venturing into something.
- Beginning something.
- Striving to achieve something.
- Pursuing something.
Anything showcasing the dates and holidays for the year.
Being fully visible, crystal clear, and honest.
5. Something like an activity or any process with a step-wise approach, one after the other.
- In a sequence.
- In disparate forms.
- In a cocoon.
- In direct relation to one another.
Select the right word from the given list, the best possible/most suitable option for the highlighted phrase/word (in bold).
- They tried very hard to stalk and trap it.
The children were taught to obey their teachers.
- Listen to.
He was riding a costly motorcycle that was considered flashy for the times.
She was more inclined towards periodic fits of anger these days.
How on earth did you get tangled up in this mess?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I prepare for TOEFL vocabulary?
Try and read as much as possible, including everything from books and journals to newspapers and online content. Watch English news broadcasts, movies, talk shows, and television channels. Build categories to help you remember words better, including business, politics, finance, and so on. You should also practice speaking in English as much as you can.
Does TOEFL have vocabulary?
Building up a good vocabulary is highly essential for TOEFL. Several questions will either ask about the word meanings or necessitate knowledge of specific words/phrases in order to give the correct answers to questions.
Can you drink water during TOEFL exam?
Food and beverages are not allowed at the time of the examination. Hence, you should keep yourself sufficiently hydrated beforehand.
Important Resources For GRE/GMAT Exams
GRE Exam Registration
raduate Record Examination (GRE) is one of the biggest and most popular global tests held by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). It is a standardized examination for entry into courses like MBA, MS, and others at universities worldwide.GRE Registration
GRE Exam Dates for 2023
Booking GRE exam dates 2023 is a simple procedure. You can register by paying US$213 (approx. INR 15,700) and providing your valid passport copy or relevant ID.GRE Exam Dates
GRE Exam Fees
The GRE exam fee in India is around $213 with effect from 1st July 2023. The examination fee in many other countries is $205 while the GRE exam fee for India is the same as countries like Turkey, Australia, China, and Nigeria. The fee for the GRE SubjectGRE Exam Fee